Rifaat Al-Assasd is accused of receiving embezzeled funds and tax fraud as Judge bans him from leaving France.
Rifaat al-Assad was forced into exile in 1984 [File: Michel Euler/AP]
- Rifaat al Assad is facing criminal probe over how he amassed huge fortune
- Activists say it was stolen from Syria when he was at heart of its regime
- Rifaat, 78, is brother of late Hafez al Assad - Syria's president for 29 years
- He headed notorious internal security forces during 1982 Hama massacre
- And was later exiled to Europe after attempting to seize power from brother